There are several things to consider before you choose a comforter set. You need to know the type of fabric, type of filler, care requirements, the actual size, and a few other important factors.
It's important to understand the type of fabric used to make a comforter. Many comforters, especially high-end designer comforters, often use a combination of various fabrics for greater texture. Some popular fabrics used for comforters include:
- Cotton: This fabric is ideal for summer seasons and as the other side of a heavier fabric comforter that's ideal for winter use. Cotton is the most used popular fabric in the world and can be used by itself or blended with other fibers.
- Velvet: Traditional velvet is made from silk and more expensive than many modern velvets that are made from cotton and synthetic fabrics. This fabric is often used with other fabrics to create a mix of textures and patterns often embellished with braids and trims.
- Linen: This fabric is traditionally made from flax fibers. Most linens, like cotton, have excellent wicking properties, providing a comfortable sleep.
- Polyester: This fabric is a synthetic made from petroleum-based products. Polyester is classified as a thermoplastic that is first melted and then formed. It's often blended with cotton or other fibers.
- Silk: Considered the most luxurious of fabrics, silk is absorbent. It is cool in the summer and warm in the winter. It is a great draping fabric and one of the softest fabrics. The fibers are harvested from silkworms.
Types of Comforter Fillers
Most comforters have a synthetic fiber filler or a blended filler. To prevent the filler from becoming unevenly distributed inside the comforter, the filler is often quilted to hold it together.
- Many fillers are sewn into the comforter fabric like a quilt and in a specific pattern.
- Some comforters have a down filler similar to duvet fillers. This type of comforter will be more expensive than an alternative down filler.
Bedding Pieces Included in Comforter Sets
A comforter set can save you money while providing pre-matched bedding pieces that can instantly transform your bedroom. Some come with as many as 12 or more pieces, while others have as few as three.
- 3-PC comforter sets include a comforter and a matching pair of pillow shams.
- Some bed-in-a-bag comforter sets include the comforter, pillow shams, decorative pillows, and bed skirt.
- Larger comforter sets often include a flat sheet, fitted sheet, and two pillowcases along with the comforter, shams, and one or more matching decorative pillows.
Different Comforter Sizes
Not all comforters are created equal, meaning you need to read the labels or online dimensions. Some comforters are marked as a queen size, but the dimensions don't take into consideration the drop required to cover your pillow top and bottom mattresses. You may need to purchase the next size to ensure the comforter covers both mattresses.
- Measure the surface of your bed and the drop (inches from top of mattress to bottom of mattress).
- Some cheaper comforters might be smaller than standard comforter sizes.
- If you have a platform bed, you won't require as big a comforter as you would for a double mattress bed.
- Most comforters are made to cover pillow top mattresses. If your mattress isn't a pillow top, make sure the comforter isn't be too big by checking the dimensions.
Criteria for Choosing a Comforter Set
There are several factors you need to consider before you choose a comforter set. Answer these questions before shopping for a comforter set to help you understand what you need.
- Will you be using the comforter year-round?
- Is the comforter too heavy for summer use?
- Is the comforter washable or must it be dry cleaned?
- Do you get chilled easily at night? If yes, you'll want a heavier comforter.
- How many pieces of bedding do you want in your comforter set? Do you need a sheet set to be included? Decorative pillows?
- Do you want a patterned or a plain-colored comforter set?
- What type of pattern design do you want, such as floral, plaid or abstract?
- Do you want a reversible comforter?
- What color(s) do you need to go with your bedroom décor?
- Does the comforter set appear to be well-constructed? Are the embellishments sewn on securely?
Choosing a Comforter Set
Plan ahead to find the perfect comforter set that meets your budget and needs. With the above criteria in mind, you can choose the perfect set for your bedding.