Silk drapes add sophistication and beauty to any space. The material has always been associated with luxury. However, it is also versatile and affordable. If you are updating your space, consider this type of drapery.
Silk Drapes Offer Style
Silk drapes are available in a variety of styles. Choosing the right one is dependent upon your tastes and your budget. Many are ready made drapes.
- Chiffon: Chiffon silk is commonly available for drapery. This material is light and sheer. It allows light and air to pass through it easily. They are often easier to maintain than heavier types of silk. Further, they are great for living rooms and bedrooms.
- Charmeuse: This type of silk is stiffer and, therefore, is less pliable for flowing drapes. It is often lined with crepe.
- Brocades: Brocade is a heavier form of silk drapery. This is a lined drape. They are better for winter months when you want to add warmth to a room. They have an embossed design on them, which adds to the level of sophistication that these drapes offer to a space.
- Georgette: One of the most popular forms of silk drapes is georgette. These drapes have a crinkled texture. They are whimsical and inviting. They are a blend of charmeuse and chiffon silks.
- Raw Silk: You will not find many manufacturers offering raw silk in drapery panels, but you can use this material if you would like to do so. It is rough and less uniform in texture.
- Satin: Yet another option to consider when you want the look of silk is satin. Satin drapes are soft and shiny. They often are thicker than other silks, which offer less light penetration. They work well in the bedroom where you do not want others to see through the windows. It is a luxurious material, but it is also less expensive than some silk fabrics.
Selecting the Right Silk Drapery
Sometimes the best way to choose the right silk drapery is by comparing a variety of products. Consider feeling the texture and thickness of the material before purchasing, as this will give you a better idea of the true quality of the fabric.
- Color Matters: When selecting the right drapery for any space, determine if you want the windows to be a focal point of the room. Bright colors help to make a statement in the space. Silk is available in numerous colors. These crimson chiffon drapes are an example of the depth of color silk offers.
- Add Texture: Silk is also adds more texture to a space. Silk panels add a heavier texture to the space. Pleating is a way to add more texture and dimension to your room.
- Add Luxury: If you want the space to feel luxurious, such as in a bedroom, consider silk drapes to accomplish that goal. Paired with a gold bedspread or pillows, these black and gold sari panel drapes are the ideal complement.
- Be Functional: For those who hope to add privacy or to keep heat in a space, silk drapes can offer that, too. Light-blocking silk drapes are beautiful and functional. They block light while offering a softer appearance in the space.
Tips for Using Silk
Many people love the feel and touch of silk and it works well in most designs. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to buying silks.
- Silk drapes tend to wrinkle easily.
- Silk drapes are hard to maintain. They stain easily and need to be professionally cleaned.
- Silk is sometimes best used in the summer months since the sun's warmth helps to keep the material dry. During humid weather, silks can absorb and hold in moisture, which can lead to mold growth.
- This material can be expensive; however, there are faux silk drapery options on the market. These products are often easier to maintain than silk.
- For true luxury, purchase quality made silk products.