If you're interested in a stylish alternative to a comforter or duvet, quilted bedspreads might be a great choice. These bed toppers come in a variety of styles and colors, so it will be a cinch to find the perfect one to match your decorating scheme.
What Is a Bedspread?
Believe it or not, there is a technical difference between bedspreads and other bed coverings. Typically, a bedspread is larger than a comforter, both in length and width. Most bedspreads hang all the way to the floor and can be folded over the pillows; this larger size eliminates the need for some other bedding items like bed skirts or pillow shams. The advantage of this design is that it simplifies the process of making the bed and provides a neat appearance. Using a bedspread also cuts down on laundry, since there are fewer bedding items to wash.
About Quilted Bedspreads
Quilted bedspreads are available in traditional quilt patterns, as well as solid colors and all-over prints, and they can complement just about any decorating style. Quilting can help give these bedspreads extra warmth, and it can also provide a subtle, textured appearance.
- For a contemporary appearance, try a quilted bedspread in a solid color or a simple modern print. The quilted design will help keep the bedspread from looking boring. If you want a modern look, choose a bedspread that has an angular or geometric pattern in the quilting.
- Quilted bedspreads also lend themselves to traditional style. For a traditional appearance, look for a spread with a subtle print or a simple stripe pattern. Then you can add a further decorating flair with accessories like throw pillows or colorful blankets.
- For a country or cottage chic style, your options are wide open. You can choose a simple solid or print and accessorize it, or you can choose a quilted bedspread with a pretty country motif. If you love cottage chic, you might want to pick a pure white bedspread with a quilted design. Another option might be a pretty floral print.
Where to Buy
The Internet is the perfect place to look for quilted bedspreads. Whether you need a contemporary bed covering or a pretty country coverlet, you'll find tons of options. Here are a few Internet shops with a great bedspread selection:
- The Home Decorating Company has everything from summery seaside prints to modern graphic floral designs. You'll find bedspreads for kids, as well as choices to complement any style or room.
- Plow and Hearth is a great choice if you like country or traditional designs. This site offers embroidered bedspreads, as well as all kinds of quilted patterns.
- JCPenney.com often has great deals on quilted bedspreads. Many designs are traditional, but there are also choices for those who like modern or country looks.
- Sears is another place to shop. With a wide selection of bedspreads and coordinating accessories, you're sure to find something you'll love.
- Overstock.com is often a good place to find great deals, and they generally have an excellent selection of bedspreads. If you don't see something you like, be sure to check back often since the selection is constantly changing.
Bedspread Buying Tips
Before buying a quilted bedspread, keep the following in mind:
- Measure your bed, including the height. Many mattresses can be as thick as 18 inches, which means you'll need a longer, wider bedspread in order for it to touch the floor on the sides and foot of the bed.
- Confirm the return policy. When shopping online, it's always a good idea to make sure you can return something if it doesn't meet your needs.
- Check the care instructions. Most people want a bedspread that is easy to launder. If this is a concern for you, be sure to confirm the care instructions before you buy.
- Have fun. Bedspreads are a quick and easy way to change the look of a room. Have a good time shopping!