Neck support pillows are available in a variety of designs and firmness options and are used to help relieve symptoms due to neck strain that can affect the rest of your body. With the right support, you'll also get a better night's sleep.
Why People Use Neck Support Pillows
Doctors, chiropractors and other health care professionals often recommend pillows that support the neck to aid people who suffer from:
- Airway blockage while sleeping (snoring)
- Joint strains
- Neck pain
Choosing a Pillow for Neck Support
When choosing a pillow, some people prefer firm support while others prefer gentler support and still, others look for something in between the two. Your doctor may recommend a change in support to reduce stress on your body. While it isn't always easy getting used to a new pillow, it may lead to a better quality of sleep and reduce pain or discomfort throughout the day. Your health care provider can help you choose the right pillow, but if you plan to buy one on your own, here is a rule of thumb to help you get started:
- Large frame: firm support
- Medium frame: medium support
- Small frame: gentle support
Type of Support Pillows
Pillows that provide neck support are available in a wide range of shapes, sizes and materials. Some of these pillows are available in inflatable versions that allow the user to adjust the level of firmness. This is a good way to get used to a neck support pillow, because you can adjust the level of support to meet your individual needs. Other special features include pillows that work in tandem with hot or cold packs to provide soothing relief for soreness or inflammation. Neck pillow options on the market today:
- Child neck pillow: A smaller design that works well for smaller adults
- Neck pain pillow: A pillow designed specifically to support the head and neck with the goal of restoring normal neck posture, which in turn will relieve neck pain.
- Cervical neck pillow: Provides support needed for proper neck alignment which reduces pressure points and encourages blood flow. Is recommended for people who struggle with neck and upper back pain.
- Neck roll pillow: The neck roll pillow is a popular choice for many people because it provides support that aids in headache relief and reduces neck pain that results from sore muscles caused by over exertion or stress.
- Buckwheat pillow: When choosing a buckwheat pillow for neck support, it's good to understand that the buckwheat itself comes in different qualities. For example, you can get an organic buckwheat pillow that is hypoallergenic or you can buy a cheap pillow filled with broken hull pieces. Purchasing a buckwheat pillow designed with a zipper is best because it allows you to adjust the support for your neck as needed.
- Water Pillow: A water pillow can be customized to provide the exact support you need. It's important to follow manufacturer's instructions for proper filling.
Neck Travel Pillows
Neck travel pillows provide support while in a car, train or plane to promote proper spine alignment while traveling, or it can be used while sitting and watching TV. Some of these pillows are constructed from foam that shapes to fit your traveling situation while providing comfort and optimum support. Another popular design actually encircles the neck.
Best Pillow to Support Your Neck
While some types of neck pillows sell more than others, the one that's best for you will fit your body's needs and provide the comfort level that allows you to sleep through the night. Some people use a special pillow for their neck as well as a body pillow to keep their entire body in proper alignment. Another factor to take into consideration when buying a pillow to support your neck is laundering. If it isn't easy to clean, it's not really the best long term choice.