A microbead pillow contains small beads. Because of its unique design, these beads provide support for the user. Microbeads are comfortable, too.
What Is in a Microbead Pillow
A microbead pillow contains thousands of small beads that range in size from 0.1 to 0.3 inches. Although they can be a composition of a variety of materials, most of these beads are from polystyrene. The manufacturers place these beads within a pillowcase covering. With proper care, the beads won't come out of the pillowcase. You can use the pillow for years.
The beads make a microbead pillow unique from other types of pillows. The beads themselves help to provide comfort and support. When you place your head on the pillow, the beads contour to the shape of your head. However, they are not so soft that the pillow becomes flat. Rather, the beads provide support to your neck, head and shoulders while you rest. This level of support is ideal because the beads allow the pillow to contour to the shape of your head, neck and shoulders.
Depending on the manufacturer, some microbead pillows can last longer than traditional down, cotton or goose feather pillows. They are unlikely to wear down and flatten over time. This pillow is not pre-shaped like some types of orthopedic pillows. This allows your head to create the perfect resting point when you lie down on it.
The microbead pillow may also be placed under the back, as a body pillow, around the neck or under the legs for added support and comfort. They are not just for the bedroom, either. Take them with you to provide support while you travel. Use them in your living room on the couch for a stylish, comfortable option.
Shopping for Microbead Pillows
A variety of manufacturers now produces the microbead pillow. Because they are widely available, these pillows are now very affordable.
- Target: You can find several options in these pillows at Target. The company carries a full line of products including travel pillows, massaging pillows and vibrating massage pillows made with microbeads.
- Themed Pillows: Children love the squishy feel of microbeads. You can find a wide range of great themed pillows that are perfect for your child's bedroom. Consider this Disney Tinkerbell Pillow. If your child is into sports, try a sports themed pillow like this soccer microbead plush pillow.
- Therapeutic: Some manufacturers have unique designs for these pillows to give additional support to the neck and shoulders while sleeping. This Pike Street Micro Beach Therapy Pillow contains microbeads. The outer shell is made from spandex, which flexes easily.
- Stylish and Functional: Another important factor about the microbead pillow is that it can be a stylish, elegant statement in a room. Choose colors that work with the space and an outer material that is comfortable. You can mix and match the styles, colors and shapes of these pillows to each other, too. These Mirobead pillows from RoadPro are a good option.
Caring for Your Pillow
One of the biggest complaints about the microbead pillow is that it is hard to care for properly. However, it does not have to be. In order for the beads and the outer covering to remain clean and useful, you do have to give special care to the pillow. The following tips can help you to protect your pillow so it lasts as long as possible.
- Check the manufacturer's directions for care, which are usually in the packaging or on the tag of the pillow. Many products are washable in a traditional washing machine on gentle cycle.
- If using a washing machine is possible, wash the pillow with a full load of clothing.
- Use a hand towel with a mild dish detergent to spot clean the pillow. You do not want to use chlorine bleach on these pillows since it will break down the beads and damage the covering material.
- If the beads begin to come out, a hole may have ripped at the seam. Repair the hole as soon as possible by sewing it closed.
- Whenever you wash the pillow, be sure to allow it to air dry when possible. If placing it into a dryer, use the lowest heat setting possible.