Metal valances are a great way to add luxurious style to your window treatments. These exciting home decorating elements can be purchased from a variety of Internet retailers, or you can make your own version.
About Metal Valances
A valance is a window treatment that covers the drapery rod. It can vary in length, but it is typically no more than 18 inches long. This treatment is usually hung on a separate rod, allowing the drapes to open or close without disturbing the valance. You can purchase valances in a variety of styles, including scarf valances, gathered valances, pleated valances, and other options. Metal window valances are a fun alternative to traditional fabric valances.
Metal valances can vary in color and style. A sleek, stainless steel version will give your home a contemporary appearance, while an elaborate bronze, copper, or brass version can provide a Tuscan or country feel. Regardless of your choice of style and color, installing a metal valance is sure to have a dramatic effect on the appearnace of your room.
Where to Buy Metal Window Valances
You may be able to purchase a metal window valance at your local home store, department store, or window treatment specialty store. However, for the best selection, it makes sense to shop online. The following Internet shops have great options for metal valances:
- Kitchen Cabinet Hardware has metal window valances in many designs. You can find valances in several different lengths to accommodate many window sizes.
- The Lake Shop offers metal window valances for cabins or rooms with rustic decorating themes. These valances include a built-in rod for hanging drapes.
- Amazon.com has listings for metal valances in many different styles and sizes. You'll find something to complement your room décor and perfectly fit your window.
Making Your Own Metal Window Valance
If you aren't able to find exactly the right window valance for your home, you can make your own metal valance. Typically, you need to create a wood frame for your valance and then cover the frame with metal. Making your own valance allows you to completely customize the size and color of your window treatment. This is a perfect option if you have a little time on your hands, want something unique, or have a non-standard window width. DIY Network has great instructions that are easy to follow. The project requires basic carpentry skills, and the end result is unique and modern.
Tips for Buying Window Valances
Before you buy a new metal window valance, be sure to consider these helpful tips:
- Measure your window carefully. Valances come in standard sizes, so you'll need to find the size that best fits your window.
- Consider the style of your room. Metal window valances make a strong style statement, so be sure the one you pick complements the rest of your décor.
- Check the return policy. When ordering on the Internet, it's always a good idea to make sure you can return the item if it doesn't meet your expectations.
- Have fun! Metal valances are a great way to show off your personal decorating style.