With some inexpensive fabric, a few hours, and a duvet cover pattern, you can change the look of your room! Do-it-yourself projects like making a duvet cover can help you create a dramatic and affordable style statement.
About Duvet Covers
Also known as comforter covers, duvet covers help to keep your bedding clean. They provide a washable outer layer for your comforter. Since comforters can be very large and often won't fit in a standard home washing machine, duvet covers can help you cut down on trips to the dry cleaners or laundromat.
Duvet covers are also versatile. For relatively little expense, you can completely change the decorating style of your bedroom. This makes comforter covers ideal for kids' rooms or if you're interested in experimenting with new colors in a guest room or master bedroom.
Why Make Your Own Duvet Cover?
There are many advantages to making your own duvet cover, including the following:
- Because duvet covers are fairly basic projects, they are great for a beginner seamstress. A duvet cover is basically a large pillowcase for your comforter, so it does not involve a lot of complicated pieces or sewing techniques.
- Making your own duvet cover lets you completely customize the appearance of your room. Need a certain shade of color or texture? You can probably find the right fabric in your local craft store.
- You can save money by making your own duvet cover. Because you are doing the work yourself, your duvet cover will likely be more affordable than purchased bedding.
Sources for Duvet Cover Patterns
You can find duvet cover patterns on a variety of Internet sites and from pattern manufacturers. Look for a pattern that is the right size for your bed and is simple enough to keep you from becoming discouraged. Read all of the directions thoroughly before starting.
Free Patterns Online
Looking for a free pattern you can download or print today? These sites offer great instructions and printable templates:
- All Free Crafts has excellent instructions for making your own duvet cover. This cover is custom-made for your comforter, so it's perfect if your comforter is not a standard size.
- Alternative Windows also offers instructions for making a custom-sized duvet cover. The step-by-step guideline is perfect if you are new to sewing.
- Amy Butler Design has several great bedding projects with free downloadable patterns. The duvet cover project on this site is made from several different patterned fabrics, giving it a fun, country feel. This project is a bit more complicated, but the instructions are very good.
You can also go the traditional route and buy a duvet pattern from your local craft store. Simplicity is a respected name in home sewing, and they offer a pattern for a duvet cover, dust ruffle, pillow sham, curtains, and throw pillow. This pattern will give you all the information you need to completely outfit a bedroom.Because patterns are constantly changing, it's a good idea to look at the home decorating pattern section at your fabric store. You can also ask the sales clerk for information about making your own duvet cover from a pattern.
Keep the following tips in mind when making your own bedding:
- Look for high quality fabric. You'll be putting a lot of work into this project, and the quality of the fabric can make a big difference in the appearance of your duvet cover.
- Pre-wash fabric before beginning. Some fabrics, especially those with natural fibers, have a tendency to shrink. It's better to get this out of the way before the project is complete.
- Have fun! This is an easy project for a beginner, and it's a great way to personalize the appearance of your bedroom.