Finding an affordable goose down comforter is possible, if you know what to look for. Since this particular type of comforter can be quite expensive on the luxury end, often topping hundreds of dollars, bargain hunting is the best way to find an affordable price.
How to Choose an Affordable Goose Down Comforter
While buying a goose down comforter should seem easy, not all products are the same. Some alternative products are less expensive but the quality may not be as high as you might like it to be. Cost is often dependent on factors such as the fill and manufacturer.
Choose the Right Down Fill
There are several types of down to choose from, each priced in its own range. The higher the quality, the more expensive the product is.
- 500 to 550 Fill: 500 to 550 Fill Power Goose Down is the lowest level that will also provide you with quality. This product offers a high loft and larger clusters. You will find that is superior in terms of warmth but is very lightweight.
- 500 to 650 Fill: A step up is likely to cost you significantly more. For that higher price, you get better loft, warmth and a plumper comforter. This product is more resilient to wear and tear than the lower model.
- 600 to 650 Fill: The next step up in quality and price is 600 to 650 Fill Power Hungarian White Goose Down. It is perhaps the warmest and it provides you with the highest quality resilience. It is also most likely to provide the largest clusters.
- 700 to 800 Fill: The highest quality is 700 to 800 Fill Hungarian White Goose Down. This is lightweight and warm. It is perhaps the best for those cold temperatures. However, it is likely to be the most expensive product on the market.
Choose the Right Size
Another way to find a lower priced goose down comforter that you are interested in is to look at the actual comforter size. The larger the comforter is, the more expensive it is. However, you may not need the largest comforter. The traditional size fits most double-sized beds. The more popular option is a super sized comforter. This gives you an extra ten inches in length and four inches in width. Oversized comforters are even larger. These work on king sized beds, since they are eight to ten inches longer. Choose the right size to save money.
Factor in Climate
You may not realize it but down comforters are made for colder temperatures. If you purchase a luxury product, you are likely to get incredible warmth, but this may not be a necessary requirement for you. Here are some guidelines to consider:
- For rooms where the temperature will be 74 degrees or higher, try choosing a lightweight comforter.
- For rooms where the temperature will be 65 degrees to 73 degrees, consider a light to medium warmth level.
- For rooms kept between 62 degrees and 65 degrees, the extra warmth comforters are best.
- For any temperature lower than this, the ultra warmth of a luxury goose down comforter will be the best choice.
The more down included in the comforter, the warmer the goose down is and the higher the cost will be. For affordability, most people should choose a medium or lighter weight comforter.
Finding Affordable Options
Numerous manufacturers produce goose down comforters and pillows. To find the most affordable goose down comforter, check out these sources.
The Company Store sells a wide range of down comforters in a large price range.
OverStock.com is well known for its discount pricing. The site offers name brand bedding sets at affordable prices, including goose down comforters.
Amazon.com is another good option. Take the time to look at reviews here. Numerous manufacturers sell their products through Amazon.com so competition is there to help lower the prices.
Also, check some of your local department stores. Even big box stores now carry some down products, including goose down. Be sure to consider quality and fill when making your choice.