Valentine bedding can be a fun way to say Happy Valentine's Day to the one you love. While you're making that bed don't forget to add a few romantic touches.
History of Valentine's Day
The origin of Valentine's Day is obscure and filled with contradictory stories. The most widely accepted one attributes the holiday to a Roman priest caught and executed for secretly marrying Christian couples against the Roman mandate that forbade anyone helping Christians. Enamored of the prison guard's daughter, St. Valentine sent her a note prior to his execution on February 14 with a simple sentiment that quickly became the holiday phrase for the lovers, "from your Valentine". You can do much to bring this feeling of love and drama into your Valentine bedroom by setting the mood with a few additions to your décor, especially when it comes to your bedding choice.
Find Valentine Bedding Themes
Before you start shopping for that perfect Valentine bedding, you need to make a few decisions. Are you going for a Valentine look with hearts or is your goal a solid red or red and white bedding set? If you're going for a hearts design, you have some unique choices.
Say It with Hearts and Flowers
Depending on your personality and personal taste, you may prefer a whimsical bedding set that depicts various designs and hues of red and pink. This bedding style gives you a wide selection from stylized heart or flower designs to cartoon combinations. Some offer you the ability to personalize your bedding. There is definitely something for everyone when you choose to explore this Valentine bedding style.
Where to start shopping:
- Vision Bedding: Chooses from nearly 500 Valentine graphic bedding designs, ranging from abstract or stylized to cartoonish. Is fun and whimsical your style or are you a romantic? If you want to customize your Valentine bedding, this site also allows you to upload personal photos or your own designs for a one-of-a-kind valentine bedding that will inspire your Valentine to make it a memorable and romantic celebration.
- Le Vele: Search among these very chic bedding designs for that will make your Valentine's Day bedroom design high-fashion. Choose one of the bold roses graphic patterns or opt for a rose Valentine's ensemble. Your signature style can bloom with these floral and other bedding choices.
- Bom Quilts: If you're a talented quilter, there are several quilting patterns offered that you're sure to enjoy using to spice up your bedroom design with the versatility to be used year-round.
- Linen Source: If your style is Victorian, recapture the past with crocheted bedding. Use a solid-colored sheet or blanket beneath the crocheted coverlet. Add crocheted lace trimmed pillow cases, sheets, bedspreads, and coverlets.
If you decide to opt out of a heart-pattern bedding design, then you have several choices of bedding guaranteed to give your romantic evening a stunning elegance. Satin or silk sheets are without a doubt the most sensual type of bedding you can purchase. Red satin or silk sheets give an immediate romantic ambiance to your Valentine bedding. Choose from Bridal or Charmeuse satins or Dupioni silk for truly sensual bedding.
Stores to consider include:
Setting the Mood
It's one thing to find the ideal Valentine bedding, but quite another to tie it into your overall bedroom décor. To prevent your new bedding from looking as though it's out of place, take time to add a few finishing touches to your romantic setting. You may want to add a couple of throw pillows to your bed. Mix fabrics for your pillows and consider adding a focus pillow that's heart-shaped. If you have a chair or loveseat in your bedroom, toss a few pillows there as well.
Valentine Bedding and Romantic Staging
It isn't enough to have heart designs all over your bed linens. Take your valentine treat to the next level by adding some scented candles, a sprinkling of rose petals or forming a heart shaped from rose petals, and soft romantic music. Now, you have the beginnings of a romantic evening, but you aren't done yet. What decent Valentine's Day celebration is complete without either a chilled bottle of Champagne or a nice full-bodied burgundy wine? Spend a little extra on nice fluted glasses or wine goblets for a classy touch. Everyone knows that chocolates are vital to a successful "Be my Valentine" evening, so splurge on a few candies or opt for chocolate covered strawberries to go with that champagne.
- Candles: Soft burning candles set the mood for romance. Use scented candles that appeal to your senses.
- Color: Reds and pinks are the colors most often associated with this special day. Add gold or silver accent pieces to create more interest and elegance.
- Pillows: Soft chenille or luxurious silk or satin pillows provide tactile textures to your bedding. Heart-shaped pillows can be found trimmed in fringe, tassels and various embellishments for a true Valentine's Day design statement.
- Lighting: Don't forget the ambiance that lighting can provide. Replace high wattage bulbs with low wattage. You may even want to replace your natural light bulbs with a colored one for a truly special lighting choice.
Your Unique Style
The key to successfully adding any bedding to your bedroom décor is to make it yours with some special touches that reflect your personality and lifestyle. If you take the time to plan out how you wish your bedroom to look, you can play up any Valentine bedding you purchase for a perfect lover's retreat.